Introducing DanceStep our Student Teacher Education Program! DanceStep is a 4 level Student Teacher Education Program for students over the age of 10 year.
Would you like to become a student teacher?
At Dance 2XS we are excited to be a registered affiliate studio and member of the DanceStep program. Offered in partnership with our studio teachers, DanceStep empowers our students to take care of others and guides them to be leaders and role models at the studio and in the wider community.
The program covers assistant teaching skills such as behaviour management, different learning needs and styles, safe teaching principles and anatomy to name just a few. These concepts are broken down to be taught in a sequential and age appropriate way. Whether students are considering a career in teaching or otherwise, the DanceStep program is a great preparation for many aspects of life.
With the inclusion of DanceStep, our students have a framework where they can contribute to the community in a positive way. Past students of the DanceStep program have experienced increased levels of confidence and have learnt patience, empathy, communication skills and how to take initiative in different situations.
As affiliate members of the DanceStep program, it is wonderful for us to be able to provide this opportunity for our students to flourish not only as young people, but to also watch them grow into competent and confident assistant teachers and student leaders.
Student Teachers will learn:
- Behaviour management skills
- How to break down exercises for teaching
- The importance of warm up and cool down
- Body language
- Managing class time
- Teaching safety, and much more.
Student Teachers will receive:
- a DanceStep Teacher badge
- a DanceStep workbook for each level
- Training sessions with qualified teachers
- Certificate on completion of each level
Student Teachers will be required:
- to be at least 10 years of age
- to assist in one dance class per week
- to work through the components in the workbook
- to attend training sessions held once a term
- to uphold the values of Dance 2XS and positively promote themselves and the studio at all times
- to attend and assist their class backstage during performances. Student teachers may or may not be asked to perform onstage with their class, pending whether the teacher deems it necessary
- to arrive to your scheduled class 10 minutes before commencement prepared with your workbook.
- to wear Dance 2XS uniform & badge when assisting and present yourself professionally as you are now a role model to each class that you student teach in. This means correct uniform and footwear.
Student teachers will be asked to do a range of activities depending on the level they are up to. This could be helping comfort or settle students, getting drink bottles, toilet runs, taking attendance, recording moments for social media, all the way to assisting with warm ups, small routines and explaining steps to allow students to gain knowledge in explaining how the body work. Students teachers will report to their teacher if there is something they are concerned about, uncomfortable doing or need further explanation.
~All Student Teachers must start at Level One – older students are likely to progress quicker through the material. We do not guarantee paid dance teaching work at the completion of this program.
~All student teachers must be enrolled members of Dance 2XS, attending classes usually in the style they assist.